Yes it’s a day or two late, but if you missed anything last week, here’s The Relay’s audio and textual Week in Review!
- The Caterpillar is being made to be the model Drake ship, with textures and parts and design aesthetic being passed on to all ships in the Drake lineup. The Retaliator is the current quality bar for all ships to be measured against. Older ships like the Cutlass will be revisited making use of learned techniques, once the Caterpillar is done.
- In general the different studios and the different departments within studios are all working much closer together. For the ship pipeline specifically we do a lot more design work before the concept is final or the ship goes into production to avoid having to rework ships in the future. For the Carrack specifically we are starting on it “soonish” but we don’t yet have a library of Anvil assets to drawn on. The Carrack will likely be the ship we develop that library for which will accelerate the production of future Anvil ships.
- Ship manufacturers already share components and parts today, and will continue to share parts and components specific to that manufacturer in the future. This method is necessary for recognizable, and consistent aesthetic among many manufacturers, and as well for quicker ship development. Regarding ship customization, the depth is still being explored in favor of what works best within the development pipeline. For example, there once was a paint system that worked, but it wasn’t great, and it interfered with the damage states. That paint system was abandoned in favor of the awesome damage states we have today! Players will at least be able to change ship colors and add decals of the player’s choosing.
- 2.3 is out, includes hangar-ready Starfarer & flyable Xi’An Scout.
- 2.4 is aiming to have one flight ready ship and one hangar ready ship.
- Subscriber RTV next week with Chris Roberts
- [Small mining ship] It’s coming along very well and you’ll see it in the not too distant future, currently in concept phase. It’s likely to be the next ship for the concept sale, but not confirmed
- [Dragonfly] Will feature a sport bike seating with the pilot riding it leaning forward.
- [Starfarer] Being prioritized to be flight ready as soon as possible
- [Next gameplay mechanic to go in-game next?] It’s a toss up between mining and cargo. ATV interview next week will talk about that.
This week, in The Relay original productions:
Shiver Bathory interviews Sarah McCulloch, Junior Concept Artist, about the Starfarer, the HOTAS, and more!
Fourth Oracle looks into the reasons why faith isn’t necessary for Star Citizen.
And that’s it for the week! Tune in the rest of this week for our regular content, and we’ll see you in the ‘Verse!