Hello Citizens! Another week, another week in review! This time, the week of March 7-11. I think there’s a joke in there somewhere…
This week in review is a bit short because life is CRAZY and Erris is off like… doing life stuff. Fighting tigers or something. It’s complicated.
[2:12] Q: What are the plans to make future patches smaller and more efficient?
A: Work has started on a patching system that will only download exactly the files you need. Currently you download an entire archive in one go, this future system will only download files that have changed and are needed from a central online data depository.
[5:30] Q:Are NPCs going to be generated randomly based environment and parameters in an area?
A: They will be generated based off of the universe simulation which calculates using both player and NPC actions.
[17:19] Q: Are you seeking guidance from people in the field when it comes to designing planets and procedural tech?
A: They consult with people at UCLA when they have an idea in mind about a certain kind of planet and consult about where it would be most fitting to go , then they add in factors like in game lore and gameplay before deciding on a planet’s location. There will be a small amount of things like an ‘ice planet’ and a ‘jungle planet’ mixed with a combination of real life science.
Around the ‘Verse and Reverse the ‘Verse!
- Star Citizen right now is all about combat. Mostly dogfighting with a bit of ground combat thrown in. Dogfighting is the base, building around that.
- Star Citizen is reaching for the Ultima Online feel of log in and just be a fisherman or hang out with friends. It’s not there yet, but it’s getting there.
- actively testing 2.3 right now as well.
- Working on NPC population animation sets; astro armada set, G-Loc bar set, etc…
- Lots of work for the design of the Casaba shopfront, and on the economy.
- Working on a deep dive study for pricing of ship parts and components.
- Free Fly for all ships till the 20th with a sale near the end of that week.
- Citizen Con tickets will go on sale next week. Subscribers will get a pre-sale which happens in 6 days. Event location is The Avalon Hotel, Hollywood CA. Same place as CitizenCon 2014. No official price for tickets although they could be around $60, but not confirmed. Stay tuned for details.
- Redeemer needs to be brought up to the same tech standards for the work that needs to be done on it.
- Caterpillar is still going strong in Santa Monica
- Bengal Carrier is in active production in the UK with a lot of resources behind it.
- Starfarer is finishing up hangar ready status in the UK
- Reliant is finishing up hangar ready status as well.
- Xi’An Scout is finishing flight trials and Austin and Herald has begun work since Xi’An Scout went live.
- They will change the speed again in the future, nothing is final.
- They talked about VR and how they are very much wanting to do it, it’s just not efficient until it’s ready.
- They’re waiting for the Hotas prototype to arrive at this time.
Also check out Shiver Bathory’s XCOM 2 review this week!
Cheers, and we’ll see you in the ‘Verse
And I swear, next week Erris will organize this post better. Blame him for everything.