Hello there fellow Citizens! It’s time for another deep dive design post, this time on changes to weapons and hardpoints.
CIG has simplified and standardized the weapon mount system in Star Citizen. They have also standardized weapon sizes and essentially eliminated the weapon class system.
The new system is straightforward and makes a lot of sense. It is a good platform to build on for the PU and will go toward making ships easier to create.
Here are some of the highlights:
– Many hardpoints can now hold either gimbaled or fixed weapon mounts.
– Fixed mounts can hold the same size weapon as the hard point size (size 6 hardpoint = size 6 weapon)
– Gimbals lose 1 size (size 6 hardpoint = size 5 weapon)
– Manned and automated turrets lose 2 sizes (size 6 hardpoint = size 4 manned turret)
– You can put multiple weapons/items on one hardpoint. Example: on size 4 hardpoint you could put a gimbaled mount (1 size), a targeting computer (1 size), and two size 1 weapons to create an auto-turret that operates independently of the pilot.
Chris Roberts also waded in to clarify some aspects of the design post, so after you read it I encourage you to check out his post HERE.